CLÁR Funding opportunity

CLÁR Funding

Almost €9 million in fresh funding has been allocated to community and sports facilities nationwide under the 2024 CLÁR (Ceantair Laga Árd-Riachtanais) programme.

The CLÁR programme provides funding for small scale projects in rural areas that have experienced significant levels of population decline. The programme is divided into three measures, which cover the different initiatives supported by the scheme. Measure 1 is most relevant for squash clubs.

Under Measure 1 of the 2024 initiative, grants from €5,000 to €50,000 are being provided to support the development of community and sports facilities. The scheme will provide up to 90% of the cost. The remaining 10% or balance of the cost must be provided through local authority/community/other resources.

Measure 1 is administered by Local Authorities in consultation with local communities and applications will only be accepted directly from Local Authorities.

Areas targeted under the CLÁR Programme are parts of counties: Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, and Waterford, Westmeath, Wicklow and all of County Leitrim.

A national map of CLÁR areas, together with individual county maps, is available here.

The list below provides an indication of the types of projects that may be supported, but is not exhaustive:

  • Small scale renovation works to community/sports centres and clubs
  • Multi-Use Gaming Areas (MUGAs) – Interactive Squash
  • Squash Courts/Handball Alleys/Tennis Courts/Basketball Courts/Cricket Grounds
  • Community Gyms/Community Cinemas – Squash Club Gym
  • Improving access at sports grounds e.g. development/upgrade of spectator areas with a particular focus on improving access for people of all abilities and ages